Liposuction removes fat cells from problem areas of the body. It slims and reshapes, improving your body contour and proportion. To improve the contour of the body plastic surgeons perform liposuction. The procedure reshapes the body’s contour by removing some fat from larger fat deposits located between muscle and skin. When the larger fat deposits are removed the body naturally reshapes itself.
Am I A Candidate?
After doing their research, many people find that liposuction is a good choice for them. It is important to keep in mind that liposuction does not replace healthy eating habits and regular exercise. Instead, choose liposuction for the body contouring benefits that may be hard to achieve otherwise. Liposuction removes fat cells, so if you gain weight after the procedure, it usually will not concentrate in the area that was treated. However, liposuction will not prevent you from gaining weight. To keep your new shape and new weight, you must follow a proper diet and exercise plan even after the procedure.
What Do I Need to Know?
Fat cells are removed with liposuction. Usually, you won’t gain back weight in the areas where the liposuction was performed.
Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL)
A solution is injected into the fat that numbs the area, shrinks the blood vessels, called the tumescent technique. Then our surgeon will perform power assisted liposuction using a small diameter cannula. The cannula is round on the end and has holes on the side which suctions the fat using a special handpiece which causes the cannula to vibrate back and forth. This back and forth action breaks up the fat in a gentle manner.
What Should I Expect After Surgery?
You should expect swelling, bruising and soreness for several weeks. The skin may feel numb and hard to the touch. Wearing a compressive garment for approximately 2-4 weeks helps reduce swelling and promotes your body to conform to its new shape. Pain medication, prescribed by the surgeon, will help control the discomfort during your recovery period. Instructions for home care will be given at your pre-op appointment.
Liposuction Before and After
1. If you are a smoker, you should abstain from smoking immediately. This will help to avoid respiratory complications and improve circulation to the surgical areas.
2. Abstain from taking aspirin, aspirin containing products, or any non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents immediately and following your surgery unless instructed otherwise.
3. Avoid alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours prior to your surgery.
4. Do not eat or drink after midnight the day of your surgery. If you must take medications on the day of surgery, you may take them with a small sip of water.
5. You will not be allowed to drive yourself home after surgery. Please make arrangements for a family member or friend to pick you up.
6. Do not apply any body lotions, creams, antiperspirants, hair treatments, or make up on the day of surgery.